Women’s healthcare is becoming more recognized and given special attention in recent times. This sector has been dramatically revolutionized by advancements in technology. Specialized healthcare in gynecology and obstetrics have emerged, leading to greater attention to their needs and improved understanding of conditions that affect them. The introduction of women’s clinics has dramatically helped provide an avenue to look closely into their issues and find possible solutions. Read on to learn more about obstetrics in McAllen, TX.
What are Obstetrics and Gynecology?
Obstetrics is the medical speciality that involves childbirth, pregnancy, and the postpartum period while Gynecology covers the well-being of the female reproductive system, i.e., ovaries, vagina, uterus, and breasts.
Both fields have postgraduate programs that are combined to prepare the aspiring medical practitioner to be adept at pregnancy management and female reproductive organ healthcare. Many doctors, however, develop subspecialties in one of the two fields.
The requirements to being a qualified OB-GYN are as follow:
- Medical school completion with a degree in DO or MD
- Four-year OB-GYN residency approved by Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- Passing of written and oral tests by ABOG
Standard Procedures in Obstetrics and Gynecology
These procedures include:
- Loop electrical excision procedure is done to get rid of unusual vaginal tissue found in and around the cervix
- Colposcopy- This is a thorough examination of the cervix and vaginal tissues required if the results of a cervical screening test, i.e., HPV test, are abnormal
- Endometrial Biopsy- This procedure involves the collection of a tissue sample from the endometrium lining of the uterus. This sample is tested and looked under a microscope for any indicators of cancer or abnormal cells
- Nexplanon is a 4cm implant placed into the upper forearm that releases birth control hormones with a high success rate for pregnancy prevention and can last up to three years.
- IUD insertion is a T-shaped intrauterine device placed in the uterus via the cervix that acts as a reversible contraceptive.
- Tubal ligation- This is a surgery involving closing the fallopian tubes.
- Dilation and curettage- This is an outpatient procedure that opens the cervix to collect endometrial tissue samples using a curette. It can also be used to get rid of a fetus that was not passed normally after losing a pregnancy or help during an abortion.
- Ovarian cystectomy removes a large enough cyst to become cancerous or cause constant discomfort and pain. The cysts can be removed without removing an ovary. Women who do not take birth control produce tiny cysts every month that disappear independently.
The leading roles of an OB-GYN include:
- Providing information on health and sexual orientation
- Performing preventative screening procedures
- Provide gender-affirming surgeries
- Creating a structurally inclusive environment for all patients, including the LGBTQ community
- Contraceptive counseling
- Family planning support
Women’s healthcare is being given the highest priority as they play a significant role in forming and maintaining families. Their reproductive issues are being keenly investigated to put them in the best possible condition as they try to start a family. Visit our website or call our offices in McAllen, TX, to book a consultation.