How your body looks physically is crucial when determining how you feel about yourself due to how other people see you. This dramatically affects your self-esteem and levels of self-confidence. The cosmetic industry is a fast-growing sector that deals with making people look how they desire to be seen. Among their vast array of services is body contouring. This involves many procedures done and fine tuned at Healthy Therapeutics Medical Practice, PLLC. This facility is renowned for its wellness practices, some of which are discussed further in the article.
What is Body Contouring?
Body sculpting, as it is otherwise known, involves the procedures done to shape areas of the body and tighten skin by getting rid of fat. There are nonsurgical body contouring options like lipolysis that utilize lasers, heat, or cold. Surgical options have higher risks and longer recovery with more noticeable results. Some surgical options are lifts, tucks, and liposuction.
Body contouring aims at:
- Eliminating excess fat
- Removing extra skin
- Contour or reshape the area
Body contouring does not assist in weight loss. Instead, it helps reshape the body after significant weight loss causes excess skin or addresses areas where weight loss is not effective.
Types of Body Contouring
Non surgical body contouring involves several methods collectively referred to as lipolysis and include:
- Injection lipolysis involves targeting fat cells through the application of deoxycholic acid into the body
- Using low temperatures to get rid of fat cells through cryolipolysis
- Using heat and soundwaves to target fat cells through radiofrequency lipolysis
- Laser lipolysis utilizes lasers to destroy fat cells
Surgical body contouring involves options such as:
- Liposuction procedure that sucks out deposits of fat from your body
- Tucks and lifts are procedures done to get rid of extra skin and excess fat, with examples being breast lift, double chin surgery, facelift, and tummy tuck
Body sculpting is done to attain a specific shape through thinning. This is typically done to parts of the body that exercise and diet are not making a difference.
Extra skin can also be removed surgically through specific surgical options to make the skin look younger and smoother. These procedures are mainly for people who have gotten significant weight loss resulting in extra skin. Body sculpting may also improve saggy, loose, or wrinkled skin due to natural aging.
Body contouring can be applied to most of your body parts. Some common sites are as follows:
- Flanks and belly
- Chin and neck
Preparation for body contouring may require you to:
- Stop smoking
- Have a physical exam or get blood work from your healthcare provider
- Stop taking particular medications
Instructions for recovery after body contouring include:
- Staying out of the sun
- Changing the bandages and caring for the drains
- Minimizing activity but moving around to prevent blood clots
- Reporting any complications
- Using medications to prevent infection and control pain
Non surgical body sculpting does not require an overnight stay as you can leave the same day.
Your body may undergo many changes as you grow older, depending on your habits and environmental factors. However, you can get the body changes you desire at whatever age. Schedule yourself an appointment online or call our offices in Scarsdale, NY.