Tolls are a necessary component everybody is required to pay while traveling by car or availing other road transport to travel across cities and states. In India, Fastag has emerged as a tool that enables people to pay toll in a pre-paid manner and efficiently at their own convenience.
What is Fastag?
A government-initiated program, Fastag operates as a prepaid instrument for payment of taxes on all national highways. The technology uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) to facilitate the process and is offered by 23 major banks. The technology is being operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) through its subsidiary, Indian Highway Management Company Limited.
While previously every toll plaza had one booth that enabled cash payment of tolls, in recent times, the government has mandated the exclusive use of Fastag to facilitate quick movement at toll collection points.
Benefits of Fastag:
There are several benefits offered by Fastag in terms of toll payment by travelers and collection by the government.
- Frequent highway users will no longer be required to scramble for change at the toll point on the highway
- This contactless mode of payment ensures hygiene as well as safety
- It makes the payment process more efficient by reducing the human interaction and element
- With vehicles passing by faster without needing to idle at toll collection points, highways could witness lower emissions and carbon footprint
- Fastag users also avail of monetary benefits as they receive a 2.5% cashback on all transactions at national toll plazas.
How to Get Fastag:
Since it is now mandatory to use Fastag to pass through national highways without any discomfort, it is also important to understand how you can get your Fastag. This is something your nearest RTO might not be able to help with, but you will be able to get it online. Online processes also enable you to do a Fastag balance check at any time at all so that you are always prepared before you get on the highway and are required to pay tolls.
This is how you can get your Fastag. Read on below to learn the steps you must follow.
- Open the Fastag portal through the bank of your choice
- Select the option for logging in
- Register yourself as a first-time user and continue
- Fill in the details you are required to submit
- Make the payment as required
- The card will be delivered to your doorstep once you have successfully completed this process.
With the government having made Fastag a necessary tool, not having your Fastag while on the road can prove to be quite inconvenient. Even as you apply for your Fastag, check if your insurance needs to be renewed as well. Renew it today through Finserv MARKETS and avail a range of benefits, including protection against calamities and cash-free servicing at more than 4,000 network garages across the country. At a minimum premium, you can enjoy several exclusive offers and comprehensive protection for your vehicle. Several add-ons can also easily be configured to offer you enhanced coverage.