What do Mass Media and Communication courses entail?
Mass media & communication courses can be defined as one that involves teaching students about creating, sending, and analyzing messages to a large set of target audiences using varied media sources such as digital, print, radio, and television. The student is trained to analyze media critically in order to understand the moral and political impact of media on the world. He is, not only taught about how to uncover the truth but also how to package it to garner maximum attention. Competencies are also given regarding the importance of the target audience, how to create targeted communication, how to reach that target audience, and division of media basis target audience.
This course is multi-disciplinary since it not only constitutes media-related careers like Journalism, Advertising, Media Marketing, Radio Programming, Public Relations, TV /Radio/Digital Content Production, Event Management, Digital Communications, Graphic Designing, Broadcast Media & Film Industry but also Marketing, business and management, politics, international relations, etc. It helps students sharpen their writing & communication skills, voice their opinions as well as defend their point of view. Get more from mass media and communication courses, but first, have a look below.
Multiple career options
- By FY 2023, the Indian media and entertainment industry is expected to reach Rs 2,660.20 billion from Rs 1,436.00 billion in FY18.
- From 4 hrs 38 min in 2018, per day average media consumption has increased to 5 hrs 40 min in 2021 and is slated to rise further since digital consumption is still in its nascent stages.
- According to the PwC report, in terms of both consumer and advertising spends, India’s media and entertainment (ME) sector will grow the fastest vis-e-vis globally at a CAGR of 10.75% to reach Rs 4 lakh crore (approx.) by 2025.
- India, being the most populated country, implies large demand and hence it attracts companies from across the world to sell their products. This has led to companies competing to capture the maximum market share.
All the above factors imply that students pursuing media courses will have multiple opportunities across varied fields. A few of the available carrier options are:
- Journalist: He investigates and writes about events, issues, etc. He has to uncover the truth and inspire people to rise and fight for what is right. He can be the voice of the collective consciousness of the people.
- Marketing Specialist: Basis the understanding of the consumer behavior and the market analysis, marketers strategize to build & enhance brand reputation, engage consumers and sell a product or service.
- Advertising Specialist: They are involved with the creative process. They communicate the product’s unique selling proposition to consumers through print or TV ads. They work to create an identity for the brand.
- Digital Marketing: This involves handling Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Mobile Marketing, and Affiliate Marketing along with content management. Digital marketer develops and maintains an online presence for the brand. They also work to increase website traffic and online sales.
- Media Planning & Buying: Keeping the communication objective, target audience, and budget in mind, he strategizes to identify the apt media for maximum impact.
There are many courses available in the market but in order to get more from mass media and communication courses and chooses the right course, one should make the following deliberations:
- Certification recognized at both National and International level
- College must have tie-ups with International film festivals to facilitate international internships for students
- College must have an international exchange program
- College must have tie-ups with international universities so that students can have international exposure by studying in these International Universities for at least a year.
- Regular mentorship by Industry stalwarts
- College must offer cross-disciplinary electives so that students can gain competencies in diverse subjects
Individual professional mentors to help students in their research as well as guide them into the professional world.